Thursday, October 16, 2014

The Exclusivity that is Poisoning the Church

William Tyndale once said, "The Church is the one institution that exists for those outside it."

Yet, in the world today, the Church has become selfish, self-centered, and focused on petty, trivial issues for the members within it. At the end of the day, the Church is no different from the country club that has very expensive membership dues, prompting an exclusivity for the wealthy, and prohibiting the middle to lower class citizens.

Now, I am a Malayalee Marthomite, so this post will be directed towards the Mar Thoma Church. This is not because I have a hatred towards the Church, or because I am being prejudiced towards the Church. Rather, since I hope to be ordained as a minister and serve within the Church, I would like to see the spark of change that will bring our churches to be a place for the brokenhearted, lost, and spiritually destitute people that are seeking for something, but haven't yet found it. I want the Church to be a place where we introduce Christ into the lives of various people, igniting a fire within the hearts of people of all races, colors, creeds, and life choices.

I don't think I've ever been as burdened about this issue, as I am now. Yet, it has always been in my heart and mind, but I never thought to speak up, and now I realize, if someone doesn't speak up, how can change be spurred? If Martin Luther King Jr. didn't march on Washington, we wouldn't see a sense of equality in this nation (Keep in mind that I say "a sense of equality," because I don't believe true equality has fully been achieved). Anyways, let me stay on topic. I've begun to wonder, are present day Christians behaving more like the Pharisees of old, or are we trying to imitate Christ? I ask this question, because the Jesus I see in the Bible is one who promoted inclusivity. As Christians, the Bible should be our sole authority or as Paul tells Timothy, "All Scripture is God-breathed and is useful for teaching, rebuking, correcting and training in righteousness, so that the servant of God may be thoroughly equipped for every good work" (II Timothy 3:16-17).

In Luke 7:36-50, Jesus was invited to eat at the house of a Pharisee named Simon. Let's maintain culture and context as we look into this passage. Back in those days, everyone walked around in sandals or were barefoot, and of course this is the Middle East, so it can get very dusty/sandy. Before walking into someone's home, usually people were given water to wash their feet. Yet, as Jesus addresses Simon, this was not done. Now, here is a woman "lived a sinful life" that was standing behind Jesus. Chances are, she was a prostitute. I love what Jesus says to Simon. He says:
44 Then he turned toward the woman and said to Simon, “Do you see this woman? I came into your house. You did not give me any water for my feet, but she wet my feet with her tears and wiped them with her hair. 45 You did not give me a kiss, but this woman, from the time I entered, has not stopped kissing my feet. 46 You did not put oil on my head,but she has poured perfume on my feet. 47 Therefore, I tell you, her many sins have been forgiven—as her great love has shown. But whoever has been forgiven little loves little” (Luke 7:44-47).
Jesus shows love and mercy to this woman. He accepts her. Yet, in the Church today, we wouldn't dare let anyone whose sins are uncovered into our churches. We end up gossiping about them. Yet, there are so many people that are engaging in sins that the members of the Church do not know, folks with "power," and they come to church, gossip about those that are weak, vulnerable, and broken, and there is no shame. Pharisees were religious rulers who walked around with pride and pomp as religious authorities, but here is Jesus who is THE religious authority, who is GOD, and He wanted none of that. His ministry and life was so humble. Yet, we come to church in our best suits and saris to show off, and brag about it in the church as if we're models. Can you imagine if someone came into our church that was homeless or working poor? Oh, how shunned they would be! We boast about doing neighborhood missions, and we go out into the at-risk areas. Yet, after we give them some sandwiches, we think our job is done, but that's not the case. Mission is about sharing Christ, and it involves welcoming them openly into our churches. I would like to see that happen one day.

In John 8:2-11, Jesus is teaching in the temple courts. To no one's surprise, here come the Pharisees and the Teachers of the Law, but look, who is it that they're dragging along?! Who is that woman?! These leaders bring this woman to Jesus, and say, "Teacher, this woman was caught in the act of adultery. In the Law Moses commanded us to stone such women. Now what do you say?" Umm, if I'm not mistaken, adultery is an act between two people in the wrong. Where's the guy? As verse six says, "They were using this question as a trap, in order to have a basis for accusing him." Clearly. Yet, Jesus once again, spares this woman's life. He says, "Let any one of you who is without sin be the first to throw a stone at her." Does this mean Jesus tolerates sin? No, but rather, He is welcoming and extending an opportunity to be in a relationship with Him, to walk with Him. He even says at the end in verse eleven, "'Then neither do I condemn you,' Jesus declared. 'Go now and leave your life of sin.'" He instructs her to leave her life of sin! Jesus does not tolerate sin, because as a perfect God, God does not accept sin. Yet, He accepts the sinner, and we must realize that is what we all are, sinners in need of a Savior. Therefore, as the Church, we can't be throwing verbal stones at fellow believers, ESPECIALLY after taking part of the Lord's Table, as is commonly seen in Church General Body. Can we extend some grace? Can we acknowledge that he/she may be in the wrong, or maybe I am? When the Church becomes a place where people can openly express what they're thinking, only then, can we be inclusive of all generations. We know that the second generation Marthomites feel like they are voiceless. Agree or disagree with me, but I believe this to be true. It's because there is always pushback, attacking them, and saying that their ideas are worthless. Whether it be clergy or the older generation, this is very prevalent. We must stop, because the Church should be cohesive, a working together of all generations, an area of safety.

I see that this is getting really long, but bear with me. I want to talk about one church mentioned in the Bible. The Apostle Paul was a man who went around preaching the Gospel to various areas. Now, one particular area he went to was known as Philippi. There, he met a very wealthy woman named Lydia. Now, Lydia was a seller of purple cloth, so she was doing well for herself. It was like she was the owner of Prada back in those days. Well, Paul preaches, she and her family surrender their lives to Christ, get baptized, and become believers. Then, Paul runs into a slave girl who was demon possessed which enabled her to predict the future. Paul got really fed up with the demon, so he cast it out of her. I'm sure she also surrendered her life to Christ. This doesn't end well for Paul though, because he's thrown in jail. There, he and Silas are singing, praying, and praising God, and all of a sudden, God causes an awesome earthquake to break their chains. No questions asked, I would jet faster than an F-16. What does Paul do? He stays behind, and good thing he does! The jailer was about to make a really bad decision. He was about to commit suicide. This jailer saw something else through the work of the Holy Spirit in Paul and Silas' lives, and he too surrendered his life to Christ. Right then and there, three individuals and their families are now the first members of the Church of Philippi. Three people from three very different walks of life. Easily, there could be exclusivity, shunning of the slave girl, so many wrong things could happen, but when Paul writes his letter addressed to the Philippians, he is praising the work of the Church, and what Christ is doing through them. With this understanding, you should read the book of Philippians. I can't begin to tell you how amazing it is to see the power of the Holy Spirit at work in a church.


With all of this happening, and Jesus saying to Zacchaeus the wee little man, "You come down, for I'm coming to your house today" (Try and read that without humming the song, I couldn't), you will see just how inclusive the Church is intended to be. Contrary to popular belief, heaven is NOT going to be only for Malayalees (*shock*). Might as well start to get along with folks of other races, lifestyles, and statuses than we are while we are on this earth. It's good practice for heaven.

You know, I've seen and heard various stories of people of other races being kicked out of many of our churches. There has been a situation where a Caucasian couple walked into a Mar Thoma Church, and they walked out halfway through the Communion, because everybody's eyes were on them, not in worship. There was a story about an African American single mother who brought her children for Sunday School, and the church had to have an emergency Executive Committee meeting to address the situation. Once, a woman was told that this is an Indian Church, not open to Americans, so she was forced to leave. I mean, I can go on with the stories. If you know of any of these stories, or you believe that I'm talking about your church, chances are, I am, but let's maintain confidentiality, and not expose or get upset with me for sharing these stories, but use it as a way to learn and grow.

What amazes me is, in India, mission work is thriving for the Mar Thoma Church, and people of low castes are being reached out to, but here, we're staying away from all of that. Why? I was a bit surprised when I read a quote by Mar Chrysostom who said, "The ethnic Church, therefore is really a contradiction, in terms. If you are saying that this church is only for the people from Kerala, then that is not the Church of God." Yep, you better believe it. Let's get rid of this poisonous thought that is plaguing our churches, and open our doors to the world. It may not be easy at first, but it is a lot better than the contrast. Can you imagine if Jesus said to us, "You wouldn't welcome in any of the least of these, so you didn't welcome me in. That means, I don't welcome you into heaven. Depart from me!" That would be just terrible!

Kick out the exclusivity that is poisoning the Church, and open the doors for the least of these.
"So in Christ Jesus you are all children of God through faith, for all of you who were baptized into Christ have clothed yourselves with Christ. There is neither Jew nor Gentile, neither slave nor free, nor is there male and female, for you are all one in Christ Jesus. If you belong to Christ, then you are Abraham’s seed, and heirs according to the promise."
Galatians 3:26-29
"'As I began to speak, the Holy Spirit came on them as he had come on us at the beginning. Then I remembered what the Lord had said: "John baptized with water, but you will be baptized with the Holy Spirit." So if God gave them the same gift he gave us who believed in the Lord Jesus Christ, who was I to think that I could stand in God’s way?' When they heard this, they had no further objections and praised God, saying, 'So then, even to Gentiles God has granted repentance that leads to life.'"
Acts 11:15-18 

No comments:

Post a Comment